GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
APRIL 12, 2022
Climate Change: what we can be doing…
Also: District Attorney candidate Sharon Henry
PDB’s April 12th membership meeting was attended by 39 members, friends and our guest speakers.
First we heard from Sharon Henry, candidate for Solano County District Attorney. Because there are only two candidates in the race for DA, it is likely to be decided at the June 7 primary election, rather than on November 8th. Ms. Henry shared her background and values and explained her platform. She has been endorsed by the Solano County Democratic Central Committee and Mayor Steve Young. After questions and answers, we held an endorsement vote. PDB members voted almost unanimously to endorse Ms. Henry.
The remainder of the meeting focused on Climate change and action-based solutions presented by local climate activists:
- Lindsay Wray, Chair, Benicia Community Sustainability Commission – described the commission and outlined action items for 2022.
- Ben Keller – Co-chair, Legislative Committee 350 Bay Area Action – described 350BAA and explained the role of the Legislative Committee – Work on Legislation, Building Relationships with Legislators and Education and Mobilizing Public and Partners. Outlined priority bills for 2022-AB 2419; SB 917; SB 1482, SB 1010.
- Nik Evasco, Youth Climate Organizer and Program Manager, 350 Bay Area – described his role as an organizer and profiled recent actions taken by 350BA. Expressed need for a Solano County 350 faction.
Interim Chair Kathy Kerridge presented a spreadsheet and web addresses for members to take a few minutes and either commit to taking climate action or perform actions in real time. Tap here to view the suggested action items.
Elected officials present: Solano County Supervisor Monica Brown and Benicia Mayor Steve Young.
Mayor Young provided an update on City of Benicia events and issues:
- Update on the recent weekend fire at Amports and the status of the pier, which was built and maintained by Amports.
- Update on the Mayor’s first meeting as a BAAQMD member. Discussed the status of fine for Valero’s 15-year emissions cover-up. The Mayor is open for suggestions on how the settlement funds are to be spent.
- Goal setting meeting: City Council – Saturday, April 23, 8:30am to 6:30pm at the Community Center. Open for public comment, most likely in the morning.
- Diversity Festival: April 23 beginning at noon on the Marina Green.
- Council Meeting, 4/19/22 – Financial Forecast is the topic.
- Saturday, April 30, 1-3pm Candidate Fundraiser – for Sharon Henry, hosted by Terry Mollica at his home
- ACLU – Virtual Forums (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Monday, May 2, 6pm Board of Supervisors Candidate Forum
- Tuesday, May 3, 3pm District Attorney Candidate Forum
- Sunday, June 26, 2-4pm Welcome / Au revoir party for US Representatives Garamendi and Thompson, Benicia Vets Hall – Fundraiser for United Dems – details to follow
- Benicia Library – Book Action Program – From Just Us to Justice: A Community Equity Challenge https://benicialibrary.org/rsvp-book-action-programs
The meeting was held on Zoom. A full recording of the meeting can be viewed here.