General Membership Meeting
Don’t forget, our next general membership meeting is this Tuesday, April 13 at 7 pm. This meeting is open to the public.
Here is the Zoom link to join us: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85675992056?pwd=enIxbURhUmlmT0M1WE93S0puSHhNZz09
Meeting ID: 856 7599 2056
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
We will be joined by special guests to discuss three local issues that need attention and action:
- The proposed gas drilling in the Suisun Marsh. Hollin Kretzmann, Center for Biological Diversity.
- Q&A about right-wing extremism in the Solano Co. Sheriff’s Office. Scott Morris, Open Vallejo.
- Why we oppose possible recall of BUSD Board members Sheri Zada and Mark Maselli. Ralph Dennis.
Following these presentations we’ll move to breakout rooms for an additional Q&A on the issues and what actions you can take to oppose them.
Before that discussion, though, you’ll hear from our Development Committee chair, Nathalie Christian, about ideas she is sharing with the Steering Committee on future growth opportunities for PDB, both in membership and actions, to spread progressive messages and support progressive candidates.
Membership Drive! You’ve probably noticed that we are also in the midst of a membership drive. Steering Committee members have been busy calling past members and asking them to renew, and we’ve been actively seeking new members to join. We’re also exploring new ways to pay dues—through family memberships or sustaining and recurring memberships, for example. Nathalie will share some of these ideas on Tuesday night, as well as an update on our efforts to solicit donations to help support a candidate’s fund for the upcoming 2022 elections (two Council seats and two BUSD board seats will be open).
We need help! As PDB continues to grow, create change, and fight voter suppression, we are reaching out with opportunities to become even more involved in your Club’s activities. We’re asking for help from those who have some time—and maybe some specific skills—and the desire to join in with steering the Club in the directions we choose to go.
We have specific needs in the following areas:
1. Website and MailChimp. Our primary webmaster and MailChimp master, Roger Straw, has stepped back from his duties for the present. Some others have stepped up, temporarily, to fill the need. We need a person with website and mailing list experience to assume this role for the remainder of the year. Back-up assistance and training will be available.
2. Development Committee. Join our new fundraising and membership arm! Help us plan events, recruit and support new members, and more. While fundraising experience is a plus, all are welcome and training is available.
3. Steering Committee. We have openings for 2 to 3 motivated individuals to join in monthly planning meetings to select and develop programs, agendas, and related activities. Relevant qualifications and experience are less important than your commitment to putting your time, energy, and bold new ideas to work in this friendly group.
4. Women’s and Youth Caucus. Help plan events and work to attract diversity to our membership, learn how to organize at the grassroots level, and more.