We will not meet on the Second Tuesday of February – Valentines Day. We are currently in negotiations with a high ranking Democrat for a mutually available date. You won’t want to miss this one!
Stay tuned… meeting date and program to be determined!
OCTOBER 11, 2022, 7:00 PM
Read summary reflections below.
Watch the Zoom recording here.
Candidate for Assembly Lori Wilson
Our program this month featured Lori Wilson, our District 11 California Assembly Member, who is running for re-election. Ms. Wilson talked about issues facing the District and State. (See recorded video for intro at minute 2:50 and Assemblywoman Wilson at 4:00.)
State Ballot Propositions
We also heard speakers and discussed the following important State ballot propositions:
- Proposition 1: The Proposition is a legislatively proposed amendment to the California Constitution to prohibit the State from denying or interfering with an individual’s reproductive freedom in their most intimate decisions, which includes their fundamental right to choose to have an abortion and their fundamental right to choose or refuse contraceptives. Gina Fisher, Speakers Bureau Director of the Yes on Prop. 1, shared the campaign’s perspective on the proposition. (See recorded video at minute 32:00)
- Proposition 28: The Proposition proposes to provide additional funding for arts and music education in all K-12 public schools by annually allocating from state General Fund an amount equaling 1% of required state and local funding for public schools and a greater allocation to schools serving economically disadvantaged areas. Danielle Bunch of Create CA spoke about why her group supports the proposition. (See recorded video at minute 49:21)
- Proposition 30: Proposition 30 is the increasingly controversial proposition that proposes to fund programs to reduce greenhouse gasses by imposing taxes on Californian with personal incomes exceeding $2 million. Max Baumhefner, an attorney at the Natural Resources Defense Counsel, and a member of the coalition supporting the Yes on 30 campaign, will speak about the need for the proposition. (See recorded video at minute 1:08:08)
Local Candidates Birdseye and Scott
We heard from our two endorsed candidates for Benicia City Council, who shared recent campaign efforts and the need for volunteers in these final weeks before the Nov 8 election. See the recorded video – Terry Scott spoke at minute 1:24:54 and Kari Birdseye spoke at minute 1:27:04.
Valero/Labor PAC Update and discussion
Mayor Steve Young offered comments about the Valero/Labor PAC’s apparent lack of involvement this year (so far) in supporting or opposing candidates for Benicia City Council. The PAC is sitting on a war chest of over $220,000, and PDB members have not received any mailers from the PAC as yet. The PAC has yet to file a campaign finance report with the City of Benicia, which would indicate that they have not exceeded $1,000 for or against any given candidate.
- Bart Sullivan promoted the October 12, 2022 local Candidate Forum, sponsored by the League of Women Voters Solano and the American Association of University Women. [Later: recording of the Forum is now available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m49BYWS4bg ]
- Bart also shared information about Benicia Voice Podcast, available on Spotify and Apple Podcasts at https://anchor.fm/beniciavoice/. Recent Benicia Voice topics have included Clean and Fair Elections in Benicia and interviews with all five candidates for Benicia City Council.
- Maggie Kolk shared information about a SafeQuest Solano fundraiser, Art From the Heart, on October 24. SafeQuest Solano organizes domestic violence and sexual assault response programs.
- Maggie also encouraged members to consider serving on the PDB Steering Committee. PDB is also looking for someone to serve as our next club Secretary. Maggie, who has served as Secretary since the 2017 planning stages of PDB, will be stepping down after 6 years of exemplary service. THANKS, MAGGIE!!
- Lisa Reinertson and Roger Straw announced a forthcoming members only survey, asking for input to our Steering Committee on our monthly meeting format: Zoom, In-Person, or both?
- Lisa concluded with a reminder for all members to vote, and to remind all family members and friends to vote.
- NEXT MEETING: November 15, 2022 at 7 PM.
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
MARCH 8, 2022 at 7 pm
Perspectives on Diversity in Benicia–A Panel Discussion
PDB’s March 8th membership meeting was attended by over 40 members, friends and our guest panel.
The meeting focused on racial equity, diversity and inclusion in Benicia and featured a panel discussion with Dr. Maliika Chambers and Kashanna Harmon-Lee.
Dr. Maliika Chambers is the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Manager for the City of Benicia. Kashanna Harmon-Lee is a member of Benicia Black Lives Matter’s (BBLM) Leadership Team. They shared their perspectives on the state of racial equity in our town, and alerted us to upcoming events and ways in which our club can help with diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in Benicia.
Terry Mollica, Vice Chair of the City of Benicia Planning Commission, offered an update on the Benicia Housing Element, timetable, upcoming workshops and meetings:
- City Council Study Session: March 22 at 6 p.m. | Meeting held via Zoom
- Virtual Open House : March 31 at 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. | Meeting held via Zoom
- In-Person Open House: April 6 at 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. | Location TBA
- Planning Commission Study Session : April 7 at 7 p.m
- More information: https://www.ci.benicia.ca.us/housingelement
We also heard from Cheryl Sudduth, who is running in the June primary for the Democratic nomination for the US House to represent California’s 8th Congressional District. She shared about her platform, life experiences and values. Ms. Sudduth is running against Congressman John Garamendi, who was recently featured at the PDB meeting in February, 2002.
- Kathy Kerridge: Call for volunteers for Women’s & Youth Caucus; Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (Elizabeth Patterson is willing to spearhead and needs others to join in). Contact Kathy if interested.
- BAAQMD Hearing Board meeting March 15 starting at 9:30am. Details and link here.
- Lisa Reinertson: Encouraged attendees to email CA Fish and Game Commission (firstname.lastname@example.org) in support of Petition 2022-01. The petition will be reviewed and discussed at the Fish and Game Commission meeting on April 20-21. The petition can be reviewed at crowcanyon.info/petition-2022.1.pdf.