Congratulations to Mike and Monica!!!
Endorsed by PDB for Reelection!!!
Congressman Mike Thompson received the endorsement of PDB members for reelection to the U. S. Congressional District 5 seat, and incumbent Solano County Supervisor Monica Brown was endorsed for reelection as District 2 Supervisor.
Both Mike and Monica received 67.6% of the votes cast at the meeting.
California Democratic Party Chair Election
PDB Candidate Endorsement Discussion
May 14, 2019
The California Democratic Party (CADEM) will elect its State Chair during the State Convention in San Francisco, May 31 – June 2. Five candidates are running for the four-year term as CADEM’s State Chair. The candidates are:
- Lenore Albert-Sheridan
- Kimberly Ellis
- Rusty Hicks
- Daraka Larimore-Hall
- Mike Katz-Lacabe
Progressive Democrats of Benicia will discuss the Party Chair race during our May 14 General Membership meeting. After the discussion, members will be given an opportunity to vote to endorse one candidate for State Chair. A candidate receiving 50% + 1 of the votes cast by members present will win the PDB endorsement.
summary of responses from the candidates to PDB questions asked at an April 7 candidates’ forum in Vallejo
Below you will find Progressive Democrats of Benicia endorsements for the November 6, 2018 General Election, (and also previous endorsements for the June 5, 2018 Primary Election). Our Steering Committee and the members have held substantive discussions on the issues and candidates, and voted the following endorsements. See below…
Check out our Endorsement Policy, approved by the membership at our March 2018 meeting.
NOVEMBER 6, 2018 GENERAL ELECTION
(* Asterisk * indicates official Club ENDORSEMENT. Otherwise, these are RECOMMENDATIONS of the Club’s Steering Committee.)
- Benicia City Council – *Kari Birdseye
- Benicia Unified School District Trustee – *Mark Maselli
- Benicia Unified School District Trustee – *Gethsemane Moss
- Benicia Unified School District Trustee – *Sheri Zada
- Measure E, Cannabis – YES
- Solano County School Board Trustee – *Dana Dean
- U. S. Senate *Kevin de Leon
- U. S. Congress District 5 *Mike Thompson
- Governor Gavin Newsom
- Lieutenant Governor *Eleni Kounalakis
- State Assembly District 14 *Tim Grayson
- Attorney General Xavier Becerra
- Superintendent of Public Instruction *Tony Thurmond
- State Controller *Betty Yee
- Insurance Commissioner *Ricardo Lara
- Secretary of State *Alex Padilla
- State Treasurer *Fiona Ma
Recommendations of the Steering Committee (no membership vote taken, so no official endorsements)
- Prop. 1 YES – General Obligation (GO) bond measure of $4 billion to build and rehabilitate more affordable housing.- YES
- Prop. 2 YES – GO Bond issue for housing for the mentally ill-YES
- Prop 3 NO – Water Bond issue-put on ballot by signature drive. One of key beneficiaries are farmers who have over-drawn water acquifers in Central Valley, and now want $750 million to re-build the Friant acqueduct. Sierra Club opposes. -NO
- Prop 4 YES – Build Childrens Hospitals- YES
- Prop 5 NO – Allows people to transfer property tax value to replacement properties. Would cause huge losses to local governments. Main advocate is real estate industry- NO
- Prop 6 NO – Repeals gas tax increase. First increase in state gas tax in many years. Funds pay for road repairs. Repeal would cost Benicia $2.5 million over 5 years-NO
- Prop 7 (no recommendation) – Makes daylight savings time permanent (if Congress approves).
- Prop 8 YES – Kidney Dialysis: Dialysis clinics are 5 times more profitable than hospitals. Would direct some profits back to customers. Largely a fight between Big Labor which is spending $17 million to pass it, and the Dialysis Clinics who are spending $53 million to oppose it.- YES
- Prop 10 YES – Rent Control- gives local governments authority to enact rent control if they choose to do so. Does not enact rent control- YES
- Prop 12 (no recommendation) – Confinement of farm animals-limits the sale of meat and eggs from animals kept in small enclosures.
JUNE 5, 2018 PRIMARY ELECTION
Propositions & Measure 3
|Regional Measure 3||Oppose|
|U. S. Senate||Kevin de Leon|
|U. S. Congress District 5||Mike Thompson|
|Lieutenant Governor||Eleni Kounalakis|
|State Assembly District 14||Tim Grayson|
|Attorney General||Dave Jones|
|Superintendent of Public Instruction||Tony Thurmond|
|State Controller||Betty Yee|
|Insurance Commissioner||Ricardo Lara|
|Secretary of State||Alex Padilla|
|State Treasurer||Fiona Ma|
|Solano County Superior Court Judge||Steve Gizzi|