GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
MARCH 8, 2022 at 7 pm
Perspectives on Diversity in Benicia–A Panel Discussion
PDB’s March 8th membership meeting was attended by over 40 members, friends and our guest panel.
The meeting focused on racial equity, diversity and inclusion in Benicia and featured a panel discussion with Dr. Maliika Chambers and Kashanna Harmon-Lee.
Dr. Maliika Chambers is the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Manager for the City of Benicia. Kashanna Harmon-Lee is a member of Benicia Black Lives Matter’s (BBLM) Leadership Team. They shared their perspectives on the state of racial equity in our town, and alerted us to upcoming events and ways in which our club can help with diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in Benicia.
Terry Mollica, Vice Chair of the City of Benicia Planning Commission, offered an update on the Benicia Housing Element, timetable, upcoming workshops and meetings:
- City Council Study Session: March 22 at 6 p.m. | Meeting held via Zoom
- Virtual Open House : March 31 at 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. | Meeting held via Zoom
- In-Person Open House: April 6 at 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. | Location TBA
- Planning Commission Study Session : April 7 at 7 p.m
- More information: https://www.ci.benicia.ca.us/housingelement
We also heard from Cheryl Sudduth, who is running in the June primary for the Democratic nomination for the US House to represent California’s 8th Congressional District. She shared about her platform, life experiences and values. Ms. Sudduth is running against Congressman John Garamendi, who was recently featured at the PDB meeting in February, 2002.
- Kathy Kerridge: Call for volunteers for Women’s & Youth Caucus; Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (Elizabeth Patterson is willing to spearhead and needs others to join in). Contact Kathy if interested.
- BAAQMD Hearing Board meeting March 15 starting at 9:30am. Details and link here.
- Lisa Reinertson: Encouraged attendees to email CA Fish and Game Commission (email@example.com) in support of Petition 2022-01. The petition will be reviewed and discussed at the Fish and Game Commission meeting on April 20-21. The petition can be reviewed at crowcanyon.info/petition-2022.1.pdf.